Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Redemption


Redemption is a legal term defined by Black’s law dictionary as: "The process of cancelling and annulling a defeasible title to land, such as is created by a mortgage or a tax-sale, by paying the debt or fulfilling the other conditions." This is also true of other property, including slaves. In non-legal ease this means, "I could not get something on my own - I did not have the money or the ability - but someone paid the price for me and I am now free."

Jesus said that "everyone who sins is a slave to sin" John 8:34. It is because we are a slave to sin that we suffer broken relationships, broken promises, unfairness and injustice. While we once held title to the perfect land of Eden, the first man, Adam, blew it and lost the deed in a tax sale. He sold perfection for a bite of the big apple. Evicted from Eden, we now owe a debt that we cannot ourselves repay. We need a redeemer.

Fortunately God so loved us that he sent another Adam to redeem us. This second Adam did not blow it, but lived a perfect life so he could be the perfect sacrifice for our sin. His name was Jesus. And Jesus came to set us free. He said, "So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." John 8:36. I could not purchase my freedom, but he paid the price on my behalf. It was a beautiful April day in 1972 that while kneeling with my parents at the foot of their bed, Jesus redeemed me and adopted me into his family. At Easter we remember the death and resurrection of our redeemer. He died for me and he died for you. If we believe this is true then we will again be restored to perfection when we meet our redeemer face to face in heaven.

This truth provides peace and hope in the midst of pain, difficulties and death. Job was a man who understood pain and difficulties. He lost his home, his business, his family and his health. In pain he cried out, "Though I cry, ‘I’ve been wronged!’ I get no response; though I call for help, there is no justice." Job 19:7. And yet in the same breath he is able to speak to the hope we all have as we face injustice, disappointment and pain. "I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes – I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!" Job 19:25-27. May you share in the hope of our Redeemer this Easter!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home